Skip to main content

AR-RAHĪQ AL-MAKHTOUM (The Pure Nectar). A Treaties On Prophet Muhammad's Biography.* *Part 60


*AR-RAHĪQ AL-MAKHTOUM (The Pure Nectar). A Treaties On Prophet Muhammad's Biography.*

*Part 60*

*BELIEVERS OUTSIDE MECCA*

In addition to the tribes and deputations, the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) presented Islam to some individuals and received good replies from them. There were among the people who believed in him shortly after the season of Hajj. They are:

1. SUWAID IBNUS-SĀMIT

He was wise poet and lived in Yathrib. His people called him 'Al-Kāmil' (the unblemished one) because of his tolerance, pure lineage and his gripping writing of poetry. When he came to Mecca to perform Hajj or Umrah, the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) met him and invited him to Islam. He said: "I think that I have the privileges as yours." The Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him)2 asked him: "What merits do you have?" He replied: "I have the wisdom of Luqmān." The Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) said: "Then submit it to me." He presented it. Thereupon the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) said: "These words are favourable but what I have is better than them; it's the Qur-ān which Allāh revealed to me as guidance and light." Then he recited some Verses and invited him to Islam. So he embraced Islam and said: "These words are really agreeable." He stayed in Madīnah for a few days and died in a fight between Al-Aws and Al-Khazrajj. It is also that he might embrace Islam in the early eleventh year of Prophethood.

 2. IYĀS IBN MU'ĀDH

He was a young man who came with a delegation of Al-Aws who were sent to ask Quraish to enter into an alliance with them against Al-Khazrajj. This was in the early months of the tenth year of Prophethood, before the war of Bu'ath. Feuds between Al-Aws and Al-Khazrajj were aggravated and Al-Aws were not as many as Al-Khazrajj. When the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) heard of their arrival, he went to them and said: "Would you like to something better than what you are sent for?" They asked: "What is that?" He said: "I am Allāh's Messenger and He sent me to all people to call upon them to worship Allāh and not to set up partners with Him and He revealed a scripture to me." Then the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) explained the religion of Islam to them and recited some Qur-ānic verses. Thereupon Iyās Ibn Mu'ādh said: "O my people! This indeed is better than what you are commissioned to do." Upon hearing this, Abul-Haisar Anas Ibn Rāfī took a handful of sand and threw it in the face of Iyās saying: "Disregard this matter as we came to do something else." Iyās kept silent and the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) went away. But they headed for Madinah without forging an alliance with Quraish. As soon as they came back, Iyās passed away. It is said that he was glorifying and praising Allāh when he was moribund.

3. ABU DHARR AL-GIFĀRY

He was one of the people who lived in the outskirts of Madinah. He heard of the Prophet's mission through Suwaid Ibnus-Sāmit and Iyās Ibn Mu'ādh. Regarding the reason behind his conversion to Islam, Al-Bukhāry reported on the authority of Ibn 'Abbās who said: "When the news of the advent of the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) reached Abu Dharr, he said to his brother: "Ride to this valley and bring me the news of this man (i.e Prophet) who claims to be a Prophet receiving revelation from the heaven. Listen to him and then come to me." His brother set out, met the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him), listened to his speech and then returned to Abu Dharr and said to him: "I have seen him exhorting people to virtues and his words were not like poetry." Abu Dharr said: "You have not satisfied me as to what I wanted." So, he took his journey-food and water-skin full of water and went off til he reached Mecca, where he went to the Masjid looking for the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him), whom he did not know, and he would not like to ask someone about him. So, a portion of the night had passed when 'Ali saw him and realised that he was a stranger. Abu Dharr followed him (to his house), but neither of them asked the other about anything till it was morning. When he carried his water-skin and food and went to the Masjid. He spent that day without being observed by the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) till it was night, when he returned to his sleeping place. 'Ali again passed by him and said: "Hasn't the man (i.e Abu Dharr) recognise his dwelling yet?" So, 'Ali let him get up and took him (to his house), but neither of them asked the other about anything, till it was the third day when 'Ali had the same experience with him and Abu Dharr again stayed with him. 'Ali then asked, "Won't you tell me what has brought you here?" He replied: "If you give me a promise that you will guide me, then I will tell you." When 'Ali did, Abu Dharr informed him (of his purpose). 'Ali said: "It is the truth, and he (i.e Muhammad) is the Prophet of Allāh. So when the morning comes, follow me, and I should perceive any danger threatening you, I will give you a hint by pretending to be mending my shoes. But if I carried on walking, follow me till you enter the place that I will enter." Abu Dharr agreed and followed 'Ali till he entered the place of the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) and Abu Dharr entered with him. He then listened to the speech of the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) and embraced Islam at that very spot. The Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) said to him: "Go back to your people and inform them (of this religion) until you receive my (further) orders." Abu Dharr said: "By the One Who controls my life! I will proclaim my conversion to Islam amongst them (i.e infidels)." He went out and reached the Masjid and announced as loudly as possible, "I testify that there is no god but Allāh and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allāh." The people then got up and beat him and then knocked him down. Al-'Abbas came and threw himself over him (to protect him) saying: "Woe betide you!" Don't you know that he is from Ghifar and there is the route (road) to your trade towards Sham (i.e through the place where this tribe dwells?" Thus he saved him from them. Abu Dharr did the same on the next day and the people beat him again and Al-'Abbas drew himself over him (to save his as before)."

4. TUFAYL IBN 'AMR AD-DAWSY

He was a noble and sage poet. He was the chieftain of the tribe of Daws which had a principality near Yemen. He reached Mecca in the tenth year of Prophethood. Meccans welcomed him warmly and provided good hospitality to him saying to him: "O Tufayl! You are now in our country. This man (Muhammad) who lives with us had caused us trouble, disunited and dispersed us. His words are intriguing. He separates the man from his father, brother and wife. We fear that this may happen to you and your people. So don't hear anything from him." Tufayl said: "They persuaded me not to listen to or speak to him any more. So I stuffed my ears with cotton when I went to the Masjid lest I should hear some of his words. When I reached the Masjid, I saw the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) praying at the Ka'abah. I approached him. But at that moment Allāh willed me to hear some of his words. I indeed heard some favourable words of his. So I said to myself: "Woe betide me! I am a good poet and know what is good from what is bad. What prevents me from listening to him? If his words are good, I will accept them, if not, I will reject them. I waited for a while till he returned home. I followed him. After he entered his house, I was let in. Thereupon, I informed him of my story and what people said to me. I asked him to present Islam to me. He presented it to me and recited the Glorious Qur-ān. By Allāh! They were the best and fairest words I have ever heard. Suddenly I embraced Islam and pronounced the two Testimonies. Then I said to the Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him): "I have high standard among my people and I will go back and invite them to Islam. So pray to Allāh to help me with a sign. The Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) raised his hands and supplicated to Allāh (Sub-haanahu wata'aala).

His sign was a light that radiated from his face as if it were a lamp when he approached his people. He said: "O Allāh! Make it in other than my face. I fear that they may say, "This is a punishment." The light shifted to his whip. Then he invited his father and wife to Islam and they embraced it while his people delayed their conversion to Islam. But he tried hard to preach them till he immigrated with seventy or eighty members of his people after the battle of Al-Khandaq. He showed extreme courage and heroism in Islam and he was martyred in the battle of Yamamah.

5. DIMĀDUL-AZDEYY

He came from Yemen and belonged to the tribe of Azd Shanou'ah. When he arrived in Mecca, he heard some unwise people saying: "Muhammad is lunatic." I decided to go to him with the hope of treating him. I met him and asked: "Muhammad, I can cure people of such illness. Would you like me to do that?" The Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) said: "Praise is due to Allāh. We do glorify and beg Him for help. Surely, He whom Allāh guides can never be led astray. And he whom Allāh misguides never has a guide. I testify that there is no god but Allāh, the Only One Who has no partners and that Muhammad is Allāh's servants and Messenger." He (Dimād) said: "Repeat these words." The Prophet (Blessings and Peace be upon him) repeated them three times. Then Dimād said: "I heard the statements of sorcerers, diviners and poets but I have never heard any words like those of yours. They affected and captivated me so deeply. Extend you your hand to pledge an allegiance to Islam. Then he proclaimed his conversion.


 *{To be continued In-sha-Allāh (If Allāh Wills)...}*


*"And keep reminding, because reminding benefits the believers."* (Qur'an 51:55)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIVE CHARITY FOR YOUR OWN GOOD

 DAILY ISLAMIC REMINDERS. Yawm Ath-thalaatha. 28th day of Shaw'waal, 1445AH (Tuesday 7th May 2024). *_GIVE CHARITY FOR YOUR OWN GOOD_*. Aameen.  Narrated Abu Hurairah [radhi-yAllahu 'anhu]: The Prophet (SallallahuAlaihiWasallam) said, "Charity is obligatory everyday on every joint of a human being.* If one helps a person in matters concerning his riding animal by helping him to ride on it or by lifting his luggage on to it, all these will be regarded as charity. A good word, and every step one takes to offer the compulsory congregational prayer is regarded as charity; and guiding somebody on the road is regarded as charity." [Sahih Al-Bukhari, 4/2891]. To show gratitude to ALLAH for keeping your body safe and sound, you should give in charity or do charitable deeds. Narrated Abu Hurairah [radhi-yAllahu 'anhu]: ALLAH'S Messenger (sallallahuAlaihiWasallam) said, "The strong is not the one who overcomes the people by his strength, but the strong is the one w

ISTIKHĀRA: HOW & WHY

Istikhāra (Seeking Goodness) : To seek blessings & guidance from Allāh ﷻ for a decision 1Make Intention for Istikhāra 2Pray 2 Rakaʿāt of Prayer 3Recite the duʿāʾ of istikhāra and mention your need Duʿāʾ al-Istikhāra اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْتَخِيرُكَ بِعِلْمِكَ وَأَسْتَقْدِرُكَ بِقُدْرَتِكَ، وَأَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ فَضْلِكَ الْعَظِيمِ، فَإِنَّكَ تَقْدِرُ وَلاَ أَقْدِرُ وَتَعْلَمُ وَلاَ أَعْلَمُ وَأَنْتَ عَلاَّمُ الْغُيُوبِ، اللَّهُمَّ إِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَاالأَمْرَ ‭[mention decision here]‬ خَيْرٌ لِي فِي دِينِي وَمَعَاشِي وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي فَاقْدُرْهُ لِي وَيَسِّرْهُ لِي ثُمَّ بَارِكْ لِي فِيهِ، وَإِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَا الأَمْرَ شَرٌّ لِي فِي دِينِي وَمَعَاشِي وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي فَاصْرِفْهُ عَنِّي وَاصْرِفْنِي عَنْهُ، وَاقْدُرْ لِي الْخَيْرَ حَيْثُ كَانَ ثُمَّ أَرْضِنِي بِهِ Transliteration / Audio English Translation Dear God, I’m asking You for goodness through Your [Infinite] Knowledge, and I’m asking You for strength through Your Divine Ability, an

NOTHING HAPPENS WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF ALLAH

 DAILY ISLAMIC REMINDERS. Yawm Arba'a. 29th day of Shaw'waal, 1445AH (Wednesday 8th May 2024). *_NOTHING HAPPENS WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF ALLAH_*. BismilLah.  Even though feelings of Panic, stress/worries etc are part of life, they must not reduce our acts of worship or trust in ALLAH. The more a man turns to ALLAH and focuses on HIM, the more he will feel a sense of peace and comfort, to an extent that no one knows except ALLAH. Hence those who know ALLAH, are close to HIM and fear HIM are the happiest of people, to such an extent that one of them said, in a well-known expression: “If the kings and the sons of kings knew what joy we have, they would fight us for it with the sword.” This is also what is expressed in the Qur’an, as ALLAH says: “Whoever works righteousness, whether male or female, while he (or she) is a true believer (of Islamic Monotheism) verily, to him ALLAH will give a good life (in this world with respect, contentment and lawful provision), and ALLAH will p