FAJR REMINDER: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ALLĀH?
By: Umm Affān
Rabī' Al-Akhīr 16, 1448 (28 September 2026)
One of the greatest things a believer can possess is a heart that thinks well of his Lord. When you remember Allāh, trust in His Mercy, turn to Him in repentance, and strive to obey Him, you are dealing with a Lord whose generosity far exceeds your efforts. Every step you take towards Him is known to Him, and no sincere effort made for His Sake is ever lost.
Therefore, having good expectations of Allāh and remembering Him are not passive acts. They are acts of obedience that strengthen the heart and lead a servant towards good deeds. We perform righteous deeds while believing that Allāh loves obedience, accepts sincere deeds, forgives those who repent, and rewards those who strive for His Sake.
Abū Hurayrah (Raḍiyallāhu ‘Anhu) mentioned that the Prophet (ﷺ) said that Allāh says:
“I am as My slave thinks I am, and I am with him when he remembers Me. If he remembers Me to himself, I will remember him to Myself; if he remembers Me in a gathering, I remember him in a gathering better than it; if he draws near to Me a hand span, I draw near to him an arm’s length; if he draws near to Me an arm’s length, I draw near to him a distance of two outstretched arms; if he comes to Me walking, I go to him running.”
[Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 7405]
Pause and reflect upon the opening words: “I am as My slave thinks I am.”
Al-Ḥāfiẓ Ibn Ḥajar (Raḥimahullāh) explained that this means Allāh deals with His servant according to what the servant expects of Him. He also cited al-Qurṭubī’s explanation that this includes expecting Allāh’s response when making Du‘ā’, acceptance when repenting, forgiveness when seeking forgiveness, and reward when performing acts of worship according to their conditions.
[Fatḥ al-Bārī, 13/385–386]
What, then, do you think about your Lord?
When you raise your hands in Du‘ā’, do you truly believe that Allāh hears you?
When you repent, do you believe that He will forgive you?
When you struggle against a sin, do you believe that He sees your struggle?
When life becomes difficult, do you believe that His Wisdom is greater than what you can understand?
But having good expectations of Allāh does not mean deceiving ourselves into thinking that we can persist in sin without repentance and still claim to have hope in His Forgiveness. True hope produces good action. It makes the sinner repent, the negligent return, the weak persevere, and the believer strive harder to please his Lord.
“And I am with him when he remembers Me.”
The “being with” mentioned here is not to be understood as Allāh physically dwelling with His creation. Ibn Ḥajar (Raḥimahullāh) explained this particular ma‘iyyah as Allāh being with His servant through His Knowledge, while also explaining that this is a special form of divine accompaniment connected to the servant’s remembrance of Him.
[Fatḥ al-Bārī, 13/385–386]
Ibn Rajab (Raḥimahullāh) also connected this portion of the Ḥadīth to the Statement of Allāh (ﷻ):
“So remember Me; I will remember you.”
[Sūrah al-Baqarah 2:152]
He explained that Allāh’s remembering of His servant includes praising and mentioning him among the inhabitants of the heavens.
[Jāmi‘ al-‘Ulūm wa’l-Ḥikam, Ḥadīth 36]
Imagine that!
You may remember Allāh while sitting alone and unnoticed by people, but you are never unnoticed by your Lord. You may quietly say Subḥānallāh, seek His Forgiveness, praise Him, or call upon Him in the darkness of the night. No one around you may know what is happening between you and your Lord—but Allāh knows.
If a servant remembers Allāh privately, mentioning His Perfection and sanctifying Him, Allāh remembers that servant with reward and mercy. And when he remembers Allāh in a gathering, Allāh mentions him in a gathering better and nobler than his—among the angels.
Then consider the breathtaking conclusion:
“If he draws near to Me a hand span, I draw near to him an arm’s length,”
and:
“If he comes to Me walking, I go to him running.”
These expressions underscore the tremendous Generosity, Mercy, and Favour of Allāh towards His servants. They are not meant to suggest that Allāh physically moves from one location to another like a human being. Rather, they demonstrate the immense favour and reward that Allāh grants to His servant when he takes even a small step towards Him through obedience.
The Ḥadīth teaches us not to underestimate small acts of obedience.
Perhaps you have struggled to pray consistently. Start again.
Perhaps you have neglected the Qur’ān. Open it again.
Perhaps you have fallen into a sin repeatedly. Repent again.
Perhaps your heart has become distant from Dhikr. Begin remembering Allāh again.
Do not say, “I have gone too far.” Turn back.
Do not say, “I have failed too many times.” Repent.
Do not say, “My deeds are too small.” Never underestimate an act done sincerely for Allāh.
The Ḥadīth brings together ḥusn aẓ-ẓann billāh (having good expectations of Allāh), Dhikr, hope in Allāh’s Mercy, and hastening towards obedience.
So, respected brethren, what do you think about Allāh?
When you are alone, do you remember Him?
When you sin, do you run away from Him—or run back to Him in repentance?
When you make Du‘ā’, do you ask with certainty that He hears you?
When you face hardship, do you complain about Allāh to His creation, or do you pour out your heart to Allāh and seek His Help?
And when you hear the call to righteousness, do you take a step towards Him?
I beseech Allāh (ﷻ) to grant us sincere hearts, sound understanding, abundant Dhikr, sincere repentance, good expectations of Him, and the ability to continually draw closer to Him through obedience.
I also ask Him to forgive our sins, rectify our affairs, and make us among those whom He loves and remembers.
Aameen.
Comments
Post a Comment